March for Meals 2020
Mar 16 - 20, 2020
March for Meals is an annual event that increases awareness and community engagement with local Meals on Wheels providers across North America.
Ways to Support
Here are several ways you can help to ensure seniors and adults with disabilities in Ottawa can live more healthy, happy and independent lives at home:
- If you know a senior or an adult with a disability who may benefit from getting hot or frozen meals delivered to their home, please let them know. It’s easy to apply!
- Help spread the word about our meal delivery service on social media. Don’t forget to use the hashtags:
#MarchForMeals2020 #MOWOttawa and #CommunityChampions
- Come chat with us! We’ll be at Billings Bridge Mall on March 13, Lansdowne Farmers Market on March 15; Carlingwood Mall on March 20, and St Laurent Shopping Centre on March 25
- Become a volunteer! Sign up for our upcoming Volunteer Orientations on March 9 and March 31.
- In Ontario:
- 2,945,119 meals were delivered to 49,229 Ontarians in 181 communities in 2018-2019
- There are 141 not-for-profit organizations receiving provincial government funding to provide Meals on Wheels service
- In Ottawa:
- 110,845 hot and frozen meals were delivered to 1,464 seniors and adults with disabilities in 2018-2019
- 29% of our clients are over the age of 85 years
- 60% of our clients are between the ages of 65 and 84 years
- 11% of our clients are under the age of 65 years
- 428 volunteers were engaged and collectively put in 24,849 hours of service in 2018-2019
- More March for Meals information from the Ontario Community Support Association